Prev: Re: SPS/Pulsars Next: RE: [FT] Space Sports

Re: [DS] Alien psychology house rules

From: "Germy & Fizl" <germ@f...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:27:08 -0000
Subject: Re: [DS] Alien psychology house rules

> > Alien Psychology: Colony
> > Based on an insect colony the entire alien force acts and fights as
> > one. This co-ordination requires the presence of a controlling
alien.
> > The colony goal is simple. Destroy the enemy and preserve their own
> > existence.
>
> Although the presence of a controlling  "Mother" alien is a common
theme
in
> SF, actual insect colonies don't really work that way in their
shot-term
> activities.

Well I'll drop the word Insect since this is Sci-fi. But insect does
conjure
up the image of
a colony working towards a common goal with each member knowing their
own
place and
purpose.

> Basically, the colony "intelligence" is a distributed process brought
about
> by many independent, individually quite weak brains and a fairly
> sophisticated communication system. This consists mostly of pheromones
or
> direct contact and hence is fairly slow.

Once again this is sci-fi so for communication you can go as far as
telepathy.

> The Queen breeds and also sends out some control pheromones indicating
her
> needs.
> Otherwise, the various members commuincate between themselves with
signals
> such as:
> Here's Food ! (and its location)
> Enemy ! (we need reinforcements!)
> Too hot ! (open ventilation channels)
> The brood is hungry ! (Get stuff from the stores !
> Stores are running low ! (Go hunting !)
> etc.

This is the simplest form. I was thinking more of colonies thinking lets
grow some more
interstellar craft, some artillery, support units and attack the
adjacent
system.

Jeremey
germ@germy.co.uk
www.germy.co.uk

Prev: Re: SPS/Pulsars Next: RE: [FT] Space Sports