Prev: RE: SPS/Pulsars Next: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy

FTL Comms

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:58:05 +0100
Subject: FTL Comms

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Burton West" <roger@firedrake.org>
> >Good point! So presumably for us to erect a meaningful beacon, we'll
> >need some FTL system (maybe something that works on that mated pair
of
> >subatomic particles where a change in one is a change in another no
matter how far
> >away, or something hyperspacial).
>
> If we had that we'd have FTL comms, which would change the shape of
the
> GZGverse very substantially.

A few points:

The "really longterm" be a bit of an exaggeration. After all, 10 or 20
light-years is already pretty big and a decade or two is not that long a
time-span. So beacons on that scale might make sense.

As far as I have understood, the mated-pair systems being explored would
be
useless for communications because of basic quantum principles.

How would the GZG-verse be different if there were FTL comms. I think it
is
mentioned that it doesn't exist. But actually, do we see any effects of
it
in the game rules or the political makeup of the GZG-verse ? One way or
the
other ? How would it be different with FTL communications ?

Greetings

Prev: RE: SPS/Pulsars Next: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy