Prev: Re: other periods Next: Re: newbie question

Re: RE: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@e...>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:25:52 +1100
Subject: Re: RE: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: <laserlight@quixnet.net>

> :-) You would be wrong...It is easier to see a change in position
relative
to a landmark which is close by, rather than one farther away.	However,
I'm
not saying pulsars may not work. I don't know how easy it is to
distinguish
eg Sirius, Altair, Sol from the other stars around, and the
distinctiveness
of pulsars may be the key factor.

The original Voyager "To Occupant" message used Pulsars and distances to
locate Sol to anyone
within the Galaxy. Fortunately, we also have an unusually bright star -
Sirius - in our neighbourhood.
Even intergalactic navigation would be possible using the combination -
the
Pulsars to get the
"area code", then find Sirius (which can be done from halfway across the

Prev: Re: other periods Next: Re: newbie question