Prev: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: Re: Space Nav

RE: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:01:41 -0500
Subject: RE: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

>That's flawed rhetoric on top of a flawed analogy.
>Rhetoric fallacy:  Just because A is easier than B, does not mean C is
easier than D.	Apples and Oranges.

If it weren't a reasonable analogy, then you would be correct.

>Rhetoric fallacy2:  Just because something is true for you, does not
make it universally true.  (I have brown hair.	Therefor every human
must have brown hair.)

I think you're taking a roundabout way to say "but what if you live
close to the Tower?"  If you happen to live close to it, then it may
very well be useful--in that case, substitute "a landmark 5000km away."
I wasn't aware that any Listers lived in or near Paris, though.

>Analogy fallacy 1, apples and oranges:  The Effiel tower is equally
effective as a landmark for navigation as any other. <snip>

Not true.  It is only as effective as any equally visible landmark at a
similar range.

>Analogy fallacy 2, unnaturally narrowing choices:  Assumption that
sight, human non-enhanced specifically, is the only means to judge with.
 With a simple range-finder, anything within range is a good navigation
point.

You are quibbling about an argument that I haven't made.  I'm not
talking about measuring range to anything, I'm talking about
triangulation.

If there is a precise method of determining range across interstellar
distances--other than by parallax, ie triangulation--I'm not aware of it
(which doesn't mean there *isn't* one, of course).  The closer you are
to an object, the more apparent displacement there will be when you (or
it) move.  A large displacement is easier to measure than a small one.

>Analogy fallacy 3, assumption:  If the right driveway, and/or the end
of the block are either not visible to you directly, OR at large
distance away, then how does your analogy stand-up?

If I had put "block that you're on, and the end of which you can see",
would you be happy?  Or would I need to add more fine print to say "and
this block is not subject to mirages, holo projections, illusions, space
time distortions, etc"?

>Still want to tell me I'm wrong, and your analogy isn't flawed?

Yes, but I won't :-)   JohnA is away, and I'm sure the List has no
desire for a stand-in.

Prev: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: Re: Space Nav