Prev: Re: Space Nav Next: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy

Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:46:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

That's flawed rhetoric on top of a flawed analogy.
Rhetoric fallacy:  Just because A is easier than B, does not mean C is
easier than D.	Apples and Oranges.
Rhetoric fallacy2:  Just because something is true for you, does not
make it universally true.  (I have brown hair.	Therefor every human
must have brown hair.)

Analogy fallacy 1, apples and oranges:	The Effiel tower is equally
effective as a landmark for navigation as any other.  It's the means you
use.  since you're "estimating" then a short hand method is probably
acceptable.  But for navigation, where accuracy is critical (ask anyone
who's ever thought about navigating minefields about the
importance of accuracy in both placement of the mines, of the reporting
of the placement, and of your movement) anyway, for navigation, you want
accuracy.

Analogy fallacy 2, unnaturally narrowing choices:  Assumption that
sight, human non-enhanced specifically, is the only means to judge with.
 With a simple range-finder, anything within range is a good navigation
point.

Analogy fallacy 3, assumption:	If the right driveway, and/or the end of
the block are either not visible to you directly, OR at large distance
away, then how does your analogy stand-up?

Still want to tell me I'm wrong, and your analogy isn't flawed?
Rand.

"laserlight@quixnet.net" wrote:

> >I'd have to say your Eiffel tower analogy is very flawed...
>
> :-) You would be wrong...It is easier to see a change in position
relative to a landmark which is close by, rather than one farther away.
However, I'm not saying pulsars may not work. I don't know how easy it
is to distinguish eg Sirius, Altair, Sol from the other stars around,
and the distinctiveness of pulsars may be the key factor.

--
Fsck, either way I'm screwed. -- petro (alt.sysadmin.recovery)
Now *that* is the Sysadmin's motto. -- Peter da Silva

Prev: Re: Space Nav Next: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy