Prev: Re: Space Nav Next: Re: Space Nav

Re: Space Nav

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:38:44 -0000
Subject: Re: Space Nav

----- Original Message -----
From: Brendan Pratt <bastard@oalink.com.au>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 6:28 AM

> Snip - bearing in mind that the "Dither Factor" was lifted in march
2000 -
> most current civilian GPS units were able to defeat the protocols by
> "positional averaging" and to a more limited method - DGPS beacons -
> couldn't space nav assume similar "advances" by suitably motivated
people?

> Brendan

Using timed pulses from fixed known points to determin your position. Am
talking about pulsars or GPS? I could see spaceships using pulsars as a
stellar GPS system being able to locate their position faster and more
acuratly that even a GPS system (after all, pulsars are used to
calibrate
atomic clocks).

Hurra for pulsars, gods celestial timepieces.

Prev: Re: Space Nav Next: Re: Space Nav