Prev: Re: Invaders in hasty retreat Next: Space Nav

Space Nav

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:44:17 -0500
Subject: Space Nav

Some esteemed lister wrote:
A simple, and modern, example is GPS.
Something (relatively) far away, and used
every day to predict where on earth (and
near Solar system as well!) you are.  I
personally have used a GPS unit to
determine where I'm going, where I've
been, and where the hell I am right now.

[Tomb] Assuming that the US is not
invoking the special protocol it has in place
to introduce errors (either localized or
system wide) in the location information.

[Tomb] Re: space nav - why is locating
yourself either/or? You'd use visual, other-
spectra, pulsars, etc. all to locate your
position - whichever you could locate
nearest and sufficiently distinctly to
uniquely place yourself. Probably which
method was easier or faster would depend
on a number of factors and no one factor
would be determinist. You'd have multiple
methods to locate yourself and you'd use
stellar objects which had fairly unique
signatures where feasible.

Here's an interesting follow up:
How long do we think it would take for a
starship to fix position:
a) In deep space
b) In a known planetary system
c) In an unknown planetary system (but
near a star that probably is cataloged
somewhere)

[Tomb] Regarding the roughness of space
transit, the presence of human colony ships
or military ships or merchant ships tells us
nothing about the short term post jump
effects. It merely says that any long term
jump stresses can be avoided by 6 hour
layovers or are sufficiently slow as to be
acceptable (maybe increased risk of
neurological disease, etc). For all we know,
jump is terribly rough, but the humans
compensate with drugs, regenerative
technology, or some kind of mini-stasis
field. You could be violently ill for an hour
after jump. Who knows? As long as it
doesn't have seriously and rapidly onsetting
deleterious effects that are persistent, the
kind of universe described in the game
could exist. It could also be that if you push
your jump intervals, the effects accumulate
(think tough ride for couriers or mercy
missions).

My thinking was 6 hours was the "low
stress option" which would allow you to
jump continously for a fairly long time.
Faster cycling would lead to accumulated
jump stresses. And that military crews had
methods to cope with this better than
civilian crews and part of the selection
process involved resilience to this
phenomena. The way I envisioned it,
military crews could push for up to four
jumps a day, but most civilian ships would
be happy with 2. To make reasonable (but
still non-instant) travel times around the
universe of GZG as depicted by Nyrath the
Indispensable, Stellar Cartographer to the
GZGverse, I think I set the maximum jump
at 7.7 ly. I made military systems more
capable than civilian ones, and travel in
cold sleep safer. (This justifies colony
ships, fish-stick marines, and lifeboaters
going to cold sleep)

I actually wrote some campaign rules for
this, but they're temporarily off-web thanks
to an ISP server dying in a most ugly
fashion.

If there is interest, I can get the HTML
page with my take on things back up again
fairly quickly.

[Tomb] One last thought: Deathworld was
written after Harrison visited Oz. He toned
it down a bit for the novel.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges.
[The more corrupt a republic, the more laws.]
-- Tacitus

Prev: Re: Invaders in hasty retreat Next: Space Nav