Prev: Re: [OT] Starship Troopers Next: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: Ray Forsythe <erf2@g...>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:51:16 -0500
Subject: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> G'day guys,
>
> Two quick questions.
>
> 1) How much do you really think FTLing knocks you around? I was just
> thinking about the HRH of the NAC splitting their time between the
seats of
> power and it struck me if its too rough you may not see kids joining
them
> etc... could also make a good scenario... escort the new royal home
and
> don't let anything "rock the boat" so to speak.

Absolutely no idea.

> 2) You'd see the same constellations if on a plant in the same solar
system,
> but how different would the constellations look if I went to Alpha
Centuari
> (i.e. close so not so different in some respects, but still not the
same
> solar system)?

The page at Winchell Chung's 3D star-mapping site has some info on
figuring this
  sort of thing out:

http://www.projectrho.com/smap05b.html

This page (indeed, the entire site) has more math than I like to
consider at
2am.  Fortunately, he has links on this page and others to an
astonishing array
of star mapping programs.  Some of them let you move your viewpoint
around so
you can get an idea of what the night sky looks like in other star
systems.

--

Prev: Re: [OT] Starship Troopers Next: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy