Prev: Re: [OT] Starship Troopers Next: Re: [OT] Starship Troopers

Re: [OT] Starship Troopers

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:43:11 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Starship Troopers

>> > Was a thought provoking and enjoyable read, but is that it? Is
there
>> more on the M.I. and the war with the bugs? Other books, short
stories?

>> None that I'm aware of. Remember, ST dates back to the late '50s
>> (1959?),

IIRC, there was a (not very good) programmed-paragraph type gamebook
based
on ST released years ago in the US; the same series also had one in the
Hammer's Slammers Universe called (again IIRC) "Slammers Down".

>Wasn't there a Japanese cartoon series of Starship Troopers that went
>into depth about the bugs? So that was all artistic licence then?

There have been two animated versions - the Roughnecks (CGI) series
which
was spawned from the movie, and a much earlier Japanese anime version
that
predates the movie. AFAIK neither has much connection with the book....

>> Don't think they're in-built, IIRC; they're _weapons_ -- y'know,
>> tool-users and all that? <g>
>
>Great. So assaulting a bug position means being shot at on the way up
>and getting your limbs ripped off when you get close :)

The book bugs aren't anywhere near as nasty in close-combat as the movie
ones. Individually, PA can rip them apart. They're portrayed as
weapon-users with a reasonably high tech (they have stardrive, for a
start)
- and IIRC, they also think as individuals, though the Brain Bugs do the
overall command and strategic thinking.

Jon (GZG)