Prev: DS2 sites??? Next: Re: [FT/DS] New Bug Spaceship now Hotdogs?

Re: Stormtroopers N tie fighters

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 01:08:45 -0800
Subject: Re: Stormtroopers N tie fighters

Well, let's not forget while we're sitting here painting TIE fighters as
being completely useless based on gaming versions of them, that we do
have
the evidence of the actual movie.  Perhaps the TIE fighters supposedly
couldn't take a hit, but according to the movies, the X- and Y-Wings
were no
great bulwarks of resilience either.

In ANH, during the entire Death Star sequence, each direct hit to the
fuselage of a Rebel fighter is fatal. The only two Rebel fighters that
were
hit in any fashion in the sequence that did not immediately suffer a
catastrophic fate were the ones belonging to Luke, Wedge, and Red
Leader,
and the hit to Red Leader merely sent him to a catastrophic fate that
was
less than completely immediate (crashing into the Death Star surface).
All
of these latter three were struck in the wings, fuselage, or in Luke's
case,
his astrodroid.

ROTJ bears this out in the second Death Star sequence as well... again,
when
Rebel fighters suffer direct hits, even from short bursts from TIE
fighter
fire, they die.

So I'd tend to dismiss the "evidence" from RPGs and video games.  The
movies
just don't bear out that the Rebel fighters are that good at taking a
hit.

(aka Stilt Man)