Prev: RE: RE: Re: Things that make you go Ummmm. Next: RE: [FT/DS] New Bug Spaceship

Re: [OT] oddball enrivonment questions

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:52:09 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] oddball enrivonment questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Forsythe" <erf2@gte.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
> >1) Running a scenario at ECC - low-G, no-atmosphere asteroid. FMAS.
> >1"/2m.

First off, I would think all weaponry would be special low-g/tero
athmosphere designs, to minimize any problems.

> > 2) All combatants will be wearing powered combat armour (Battle
Dress).

> >Queries:
> >1) Effects of (both hand and rifle) grenades in low-G, Zero Atm.
(both
> >frag and explosive). Do they work? Can you generate a concussion
wave?
> >Are fragments likely to be dangerous further away? Are characters
going
> >to be blown over/around (suppression) by any explosive force? Can
people
> >throw further? How will this affect bounces? How will it
> >affect accuracy?
>
> All else being equal, grenades will go farther when launched.
>
> No atmosphere means no or almost nothing for concussion grenades to
work
> with.  I'd guess reduced effect.
>
> Frag grenades are still going to generate fragments.	There will be no
air
> resistance too slow them down, so in theory they will travel further.

Not just in theory. They will go further, and depending on the type of
grenade and the specific gravity, fragments might well enter orbit
around
the asteroid, to come back later to hit you in the back. The same might
apply to any projectiles that don't hit a target. Fragments too slow to
enter orbit may not be able to pierce power armour.

Note that the fragments will disperse. At longer distances, the chance
of
getting hit will be low.

There could be special low-g frag grenades: "air" burst with the
fragments
directed only downwards.

> >2) Effects of low-G, no-atmosphere on:
> >Tac Missile Launcher (GMS/P)
>
> If you don't have a VacTac missile launcher, you're better off
bringing
> buzzbombs.

A force operating on an asteroid would have vacuum-adapted weaponry

> >Plasma Gun (Man-portable)
>
> No air resiatance + lower grav gives flatter trajectory as projectile
> weapons above.  No atmosphere means the plasma bolt will not lose
energy
> the surrounding air as it travels towards the target.  Longer
effective
range.

Even on Earth, gravity will not have an effect on a plasma gun. You're
right
about the athmosphere.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: RE: RE: Re: Things that make you go Ummmm. Next: RE: [FT/DS] New Bug Spaceship