Prev: Re: Wet Thrust Next: Re: Stormtroopers N tie fighters

Stormtroopers N tie fighters

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:42:42 -0500
Subject: Stormtroopers N tie fighters

It has been said:

Based on the more "realistic" battles in the
X-Wing series I can say that 15 X Wings
can kill a lot of TIE fighters, and a Y-Wing
that wants to waste torpedoes on a flight
of TIEs can knock out 6-8 in a head-on
pass from more than 3km. The Imperials
want at least 2-1 odds against X- and Y-
wings, preferrably 3-1 just to make it
challenging. I could see 90-120 elite TIEs
being involved, and most of those ending
getting smoked. I'll have to look into the X-
Wing Allliance mod scene and see if anyone
has tried to do the battle as one big
mission.

[Tomb] Obviously you never played TIE
FIGHTER. You were obviously flying against
the reserve squadrons and the rejects from
the Empire's first line formations. In Tie
Fighter, it was admittedly a challenge to
take on an X-Wing with a classic tie fighter
(can you see no shields, Batman?) but
some of the advanced TIE FIGHTERS could
stand with any rebel fighter in the game.
And as an added plus, if you learned how
to fly in a fighter that couldn't take a good
hit, then you could wade through better
fighters quite easily.

[Tomb] A lot of our perception of the
Empire is from seeing some small chunk of
them in action against the ultimate Rebel
Leaders. They did fairly well on Hoth, and I
think the planet Yavin would attest to the
potence of Imperial Power. If you look at
the source material for WEG and from most
of the novels (argh!), you discover that the
Empire is large and has very potent military
forces. Or so we keep getting told. If it isn't
actually true (and some game rules might
make one think it was not), then the
Empire has one incredibly potent asset:
Great PR. If their guys get slaughtered in
racks, and they still keep adverts going that
say a Stormtrooper is the Best of the Best
and keep getting recruits, that pretty much
says it all.

[Tomb] One last thought before you dump
too much on Tie Fighter pilots. If you
consider the three sanctioned Han Solo
books by Brian Daley (the earliest, pretty
much, of the SW novels, long ago) to be
canon, then Han went to Imperial Academy
and was an interceptor/fighter pilot. So
apparently they have had a few excellent
pilots from time to time.

[Tomb] One last thought: If anyone hasn't
hunted up the internet movie Troops, you
really have to. It's a cross between COPS
and SW. It shows a day in the life of
Imperial Law Enforcement (Stormtroopers)
on a little place called Tatooine. And it puts
a WHOLE other spin on the Beru/Owen
Lars crime scene. Oh, and it is _really_ well
done for something not done by Lucas
Himself.

Tomb Raider
PS - Derek, I think it was 40K Rogue
Trader, not Rouge Trader.... though the
latter is a very humorous idea... :)
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges.
[The more corrupt a republic, the more laws.]
-- Tacitus

Prev: Re: Wet Thrust Next: Re: Stormtroopers N tie fighters