Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: Mercs as Peacekeepers

Re: Greetings, Aged One.

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:47:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Greetings, Aged One.

> You got FIRE???  You were SO privileged!

Well, yeah, but fire wasn't a privilege, just a matter of skill and
patience.  You could wait for a windless day and strike two pieces of
quartz together until you got enough of a spark to light some utterly
dry tinder, then build it up from there.  If you have the knack and
perfect conditions, it rarely takes more than a few hundred attempts.
Not *much* more than a few hundred, anyway.  Of course, sometimes
quartz fragments fly off at high velocity and slice open your knee,
arm, etc .

> Next thing you know, you'll tell me you got loose-leaf notebooks as
weapons
> against bears!

You had bears?	As in bear steak, bear stew, bear gulyas, rocks fried
in bear fat?  Bearskin kilts (not that we had many occasions that
called for fancy dress)?

> Some people had all the luck.

NSTRH: the Moonshine Capital of the World is Rocky Mount,
Virginia--which is down the mountain from, and much closer to a city
than, the place my folks live.	When Dad goes on house calls, a 4WD is
obligatory--he had at least one patient for whom the directions
included "turn off the dirt road and follow the creek."

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: Mercs as Peacekeepers