Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: Stormtroopers

Re: Fusion

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:42:07 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Fusion

Bell, Brian K (Contractor) schrieb:
> How will fusion work in the game future history?
>
> Is it a sustained fusing of one or a few atoms at a time
> over a long period?
> Is it periodic fusing of a larger number of atoms,
> collecting and storing the energy?

Both principles are possible, and it also depends on the time scale. A
typical internal combustion engine (e.g.a Diesel motor) would
technically fit under the
second definition, as the fuel ignitions happen periodically, even if
the period is several 1000 times a minute. For most practical purposes,
a Diesel engine provides a continuous output of energy. A turbine, in
contrast is indeed a sustained energy source.

It is hard to envision a fusion power plant that produces large amounts
of energy at large intervals (say, every few hours or longer), nor does
there seeem to be a need for that.

> Either method has difficulties.
>
> Sustained fusion would have to extremely protected both
> from direct hits and from being jostled.

Not really. The fusion reactor itself is not really dangerous, no worse
than the boiler of a steam or a gasoline tank. A fusion engine using
electromagnetic confinement methods (Plasma or Z-pinch) will have very
fast control and damping systems anyway. These should be able to cope
with any mechanical jostling, too.

> It may also have excessive heat and/or gas/vapor
> discharges. And if you are not using all the energy each
> moment, it will be wasted.

There will be enough energy to go around, as we have discussed.
However, there may be environmental concerns from too much heat output,
and in a military context, a strong heat source is undesirable versus
enemies equipped with thermal sensors.

> I prefer some limitations on the fusion reactor to give a
> reason to take the fuel cell or internal combustion engines.

Minimum weights, sizes and power output seem very reasonable
restrrictions on fusion engines.

> Otherwise, as soon as you reach the fusion engine, your armor
> forces will be able to take anything else (no weapon limitations,
> little logistics train, etc.)

You still need food, spare parts, lubricants, drinkin water, ammunition
(unless you also have energy weapons)...

> This is also why I assumed that powerarmor used fuel cells rather
> than microfusion powerplants.

It seems reasonable to equip small vehicles or power armour with a
different power plant from larger ones.

Greetings

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: Stormtroopers