Prev: Local shop selling at discount Next: Re: FT Question

[FT] Yet another suggestion for balancing stinger nodes

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 21:33:09 GMT
Subject: [FT] Yet another suggestion for balancing stinger nodes

Well, first a caviet - I havn't actually managed to play Sa'Vas'Ku yet,
so this is all highly theoretical, :-)

The suggestion is a varient of an old idea of limiting the power
throughput of an individual stinger node, but with a twist...

Should a target ship be within the fire arc of more than one stinger
node, then they can combine their shots into a single attack, for
example, if we set the maximum power that a single node can handle to 4,
then, by itself, it has a range of up to 36mu (using 12mu range bands)

Should a target be in arc of two stingers, then up to 8 power may be
directed at it, increasing the range to 48mu.

If it were targeted by 4 stinger nodes, then it could be hit up to 56mu
away.

Essentially, for combining multiple stingers, just treat them as a
single stinger with a maximum power capacity of 4 times the number of
stingers.

I hope thats all clear. The value of 4 was chosen as it doesn't limit
the published designs (to much, but it changes the dynamics of many of
the larger ones) for instance:

Sa'An'Tha, Sa'Kess'Tha, Fo'Kiir'Tha - unaffected
Fo'Sath'Aan - only effect is reduction in potential close-in firepower
Fo'Vur'Ath - now can project twice as much power forward than it can
laterally, a similar effect will be seen in most of the larger designs.

Well, as I said, a completely untested suggestion, but it does provide
a limit on those 'great blob of cheese' ships - to get the huge
firepower and range of these things you are going to have to buy a lot
of stinger nodes?

Suggestions, Comments, Improvements, Criticism, etc.

Charles

Prev: Local shop selling at discount Next: Re: FT Question