Prev: Re: Laser Weapons Next: RE: Stormtroopers

Re: Fusion energy

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:25:08 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Fusion energy

Donald Hosford schrieb:
> Just one question...(no I am not questioning anyone's
> logic here..)
>
> I love the idea of fusion also.  But I have a hard time
> getting any info that relates to games...ie: how long will
> the fuel last, how big a typical reactor would be, ect...

There are several paths towards building a fusion reactor that are
being explored. The two that look most promising are plasma confinement
and Laser Implosion fusion. And all use the Deuterium isotope of
Hydrogen instead of plain Hydrogen, because Deuterium is easier to fuse
that hydrogen.

For plasma confinement, Deuterium gas is heated to extremely high
temperatures and compressed by electromagnetic fields to a high
pressure to simulate conditions inside a star.

For Laser implusion fusion, you take a small hydrogen pellet and hit it
from all sides with Laser beams. The pellet implodes to produce a
micro-hydrogen-bomb.

None of the methods being explored has, AFAIK yet achieved energy
break-even. That is, there have been fusion reactions, but so few that
the energy pumped in far heating etc. has been rather higher than the
energy from the reactions.

Even if this is achieved and you produce a worthwhile amount of fusion
reactions, there reamin the ddevelopment problem of converting this to
energy at commercially viable rates.

Early fusion plants will probably be about as big as a present-day
power station. The fusion reactor itself probably about he size of a
small house, but there will be generators and all the associated
equipment.

It will be a long time before we get it down to the size of an AFV
engine. But that what PSB is for :-)

> At our current stage of fusion development, how did they
> (the science boys) figure a little hydrogen will go a long way?

Because the basic fusion reactions have been well studied in nuclear
accelerator experiments. You shoot protons (Hydrogen atoms' nuclei) at
liquid hydrogen targets and observe the results. So we know pretty well
at which speeds hydrogen will fuse and what kind of energy and
particles will get out. From this and the laws of thermodynamics, it is
fairly easy to calculate the energy output of a hydrogen cloud under
any conditions.

Unfortunately, the accelerator method doesn't scale well to produce
worthwhile amounts of energy (thouhg I think there have been
experiments in that direction).

> In the RPG GURPS Space, they include a fusion reactor for
> players ships, which "takes no fuel...internal fuel supply lasts 200
years."
> When I read this, I thought Steve Jackson had blown a gasket...didn't
seem
> real.

Seems reasonable (see our earlier discussion) for a power supply. It
will depend a lot on what the energy is used for. If you use the energy
to accelerate the ship to high speeds (near lightspeed) that will eat a
lot of energy. But there would be a lot of assumptions and calculations
to do to get hard numbers.

> After reading Traveller, where the smallest fusion reactor takes 20
> tons (liquid) hydrogen fuel to move a 100 ton ship (displacement) 1
parsec
> in a week...
>
> I quess my question is this: Is this a real possibility?
> No foolin?

1 parsec = 3.26 light years
Hence, that ship is moving at faster-than-light speeds.
That should answer the "real possibility" question.

> If so, that would be super cool!  8-D

Indeed.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Laser Weapons Next: RE: Stormtroopers