Prev: Snow Job Next: RE: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth

RE: Backflow of Colonists

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:27:25 +1100
Subject: RE: Backflow of Colonists

G'day,

> an incredibly affluent colonisation project
> could pay for a 1/2 empty trip, but it would be unlikely that
> anyone is going to be that well off and still want or need to send out

> colonists. However, even if there are minimal costs involved in a
return
> trip, most if not all colonists are going to have literally
> nothing to pay for their return trip - in addition, a colonist
> will not work out his/her "unsuitablity" (for want of a better
> word) in a short period - it would be
> unlikely for a two way vessel to hang around for very long -
> after the ship leaves, he/she doesn't get to ring the port
> authority and say "I'm sorry but I want to go home".

I was thinking slightly longer term than the initial colonisation event
or
even the first decade or so, but once the colony is fully established
and
has interstellar trade going on (maybe that's just my view of the
GZGverse)
then I'd expect to see some backflow, though it may not be on the scales
seen around Earth (though even here some migrations are one way - my
Granddad came out and never got enough cash together to go back even for
visit).

Cheers

Prev: Snow Job Next: RE: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth