Prev: Re: FT-JC conversions Next: Re: [SG, FMA] Tyrannids

Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:38:14 +1100
Subject: Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

From: "Ground Zero Games" <jon@gzg.keme.co.uk>

> Not wanting to be too nitpicky, but if they're fighting for
ideological
> reasons (even for a foreign power) then surely they're not strictly
Mercs?
> Mercs generally fight for payment, in money or in kind....

International Law is moving towards making no distinction. If you're not
a part of a nation's uniformed military forces, or one of its allies,
you're a mercenary and subject to a different set of rules.

IMHO this is a Bad Thing.

But no-one made much a fuss over the Volunteers that were judicially
murdered in Africa in the 70s (Angola or Mozambique? I forget). And
captured mercenaries are not always, or even usually these days,
accorded
the same status as Prisoners-of-war. They're treated as civilians who
are engaged in unlawful killing.

Prev: Re: FT-JC conversions Next: Re: [SG, FMA] Tyrannids