Prev: Re: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth Next: Re: Colourful Australian Lingo

Re: Colourful Australian Lingo

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:17:12 -0800
Subject: Re: Colourful Australian Lingo

>From: aebrain@austarmetro.com.au (Alan E Brain)
>To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
>Subject: Re:  Colourful Australian Lingo
>Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:57:22 +1100
>

> > >  So what do you call a gumnutted Pom Reffo who has done a runner
and
> > > returned to the UK (my father in law)
>
> > " A typical whinging pom that couldn't hack it in the greatest
country
>on
> > earth" springs to mind... (Big grin).
>
>Brendan, you should really tell the list about some of your experiences

>with sharks. Maybe the one where one of em still had hold of your leg
when
>you got out of the water? [a] Maybe this guy was intelligent enough to
>prefer a land where people ate fish, rather than the converse. :-)

Just before he married my wife's sister, myt brother-in-law visited
Australia, and decided to go swimming. he found himself being sucked out
sea, and couldn't get back.  Just when he was ready to give up, two
locals
showed up on surfboards and asked him, "What are you doing out here,
mate?"
  His response was accurate, "Drowning."

>AH! Now I know why you own all those fishing-tackle shops! [b] A
>carefully-crafted plan of REVENGE! Nice one, Brendan.

Anywhere with fishing shops can't be all bad.

>[a] But to set the story straight, they weren't very big sharks, and as

>Brendan told me (and I quote his exact words) "The last two sharks to
bite
>me both died in agony."
>[b] Most of the ones in Canberra, in fact. If you're ever down this way
and
>feel like a spot of fishing - and there's some excellent fishing in the

>Snowy Mountains in summer - you should contact him.

*sigh* I wish I had time to do some fishing HERE.

2B^2

Prev: Re: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth Next: Re: Colourful Australian Lingo