Prev: Re: Colourful Australian Lingo Next: Re: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth

RE: OT: Dangerous ground

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:58:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: OT: Dangerous ground

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:

> Also, I've seen reports of some of the Taliban fighters being held by
the
> Afghan government--they're saying "We'd *love* to go to Cuba!
Please!"
> Conditions in an Afghan-run prison being, understandably, a bit more
> Spartan than Camp X Ray.

This is probably true, but it's also irrelevant WRT their legal
standing.
In fact, the ones still in Afghan custody are in much clearer legal
waters
than the 'unlawful combatants' in Cuba.

Then again, the present US administration seems quite happy to ignore or
actually tear up any international agreements previously signed that it
finds inconvenient. Kyoto, the ABM Treaty, and now the Geneva
Conventions,
it seems.

This is, however, wildly OT.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -

Prev: Re: Colourful Australian Lingo Next: Re: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth