Prev: Re: Rattling the Cage Next: Re: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth

Re: Fusion energy was: SNOW JOB

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 18:41:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Fusion energy was: SNOW JOB

wrote:

> > Either way, it still means my point was valid, that a smart
high-tech force
> >  will take along hydrogen conversion equipment or have a built-in
> > conversion	capacity to prevent a loss of fuel supply.
>
> It depends, if you can use the common isotope of hydrogen then your
> equipment is a couple of electrodes and some kind of compressor
> to capture and compress the hydrogen.  You could get that anywhere
> that had a tech high enough for gasoline engines.
>
> OTH if you only fuse the deuterium isotope seperating it could be
> a bit more difficult.  AFAIK all current research on fusion is
> using deuterium.  Anyone know how you seperate deuterium from
> normal hydrogen?

If you have hydrogen gas, you can use gaseous centrifuges.  Compared to
isotopic
seperation of uranium hexaflouride (mass differs by three parts four
hundred),
seperating deuterium from hydrogen (with a mass ratio of three to two,
maybe four

Prev: Re: Rattling the Cage Next: Re: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth