Prev: Re: Rattling the Cage Next: Re: [DS] More help with infantry

RE: SNOW JOB

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:26:48 -0500
Subject: RE: SNOW JOB

From:  DAWGFACE47@webtv.net
>I immediately thought of down under and strolling about in shorts,
T-shirts, tube tops, and flip-flops. . . .

Down Under?  It was 75-80 in Virginia Beach this weekend and no Doom
Spiders, Killer Koalas etc (okay, we did have two shark fatalities this
year)

>clothing. is it multi-layer as now, heated combat  suits, or sealed
suits (powered armors or  non-powered hard suits requiring portable
power sources for  locomotion, air recycling and /or  heating or
both(batteries), or wot?

PA has power pack good for 12-36hr IIRC.  Of course, most of that power
would go to locomotion, so a battery for electric thermal bodysuit
should last a while.

Also have to be aware of materiel problems--lubricants that don't flow,
metal and plastics that get brittle, etc.  We sold UHMW-PE to a shop in
Florida that was building a work surface of some sort, and we told them
"read the material characteristics" several times.  They built their
table without an allowance for the material to contract with temperature
change, and shipped it to Alaska.  When it arrived, their customer found
the contracting plastic had sheared 3/4" stainless bolts.  Much
unhappiness all around.  Put that at the end of a 10 parsec supply line
and your Arrogant CoreWorld Elites may find themselves lacking the
ubertech they're used to, and 5000 unhappy colonists are suddenly much
more of a problem than anticipated.

>avalanche threat in mountainous terrain or around glaciers.
>threat of accidental immersion and casualties or fatalities.

crevasses etc

Prev: Re: Rattling the Cage Next: Re: [DS] More help with infantry