Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: [DS] More help with infantry.

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:55:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DS] More help with infantry.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Roger Books wrote:

> We have been playing dirtside lately and I have been having problems
> figuring out how to use infantry.  I'm thinking about reworking my
> current infantry as follows:
>
> 4 GEV MICVs
> 4 Elements GMS/L
> 2 Elements APSW
> 2 Elements Rifles w/Artillery spotter abilities.

Interesting - more of a Mechanized Heavy Weapons Platoon that a regular
Rifle/Infantry Platoon, I think.

RL military practice - and one of the real mil types on the list please
correct me if I'm wrong - is to have one of these Hvy Wpn units
supporting
two or three regular 'Rifle' Platoons.

My DS PA units - I have a full company painted, and enough figures for a
full Assault Battalion w/ supports - have integral Light RAM mortars &
seperate Observers, which significantly helps firepower. Of course it's
an
Orbital Assault PA formation, so they're usually also going to have
ortillery & trans-atmospheric fighter support. The Observer units help
there too!

> My main opponent likes to us PA. I'm thinking some
> HEF artillery on his PA, which he likes to bunch,
> should cause him at least minor problems.

Anyone bunching his forces up deserves a good dose of artillery...

> One other question.  I keep hearing people say that
> armour that armour in among infantry is in trouble.
> In Dirtside I just don't see this.  Am I seeing
> incorrectly?

Generally, tanks are in trouble. My PA enjoy getting in amongst tanks;
regular infantry can have a harder time. One of my opponents has a big
APC/IFV with 4 APSWs; that gives anyone a hard time.

The big advantage infantry have is that they can get rear & side armour
shots, where the armour is weaker.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON