Prev: RE: [FT] Tech Trees Next: Re: Near-Topic: G forces

Re: Near-Topic: G forces

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 19:30:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Near-Topic: G forces

Brian Bilderback wrote:

> Roger Burton West Wrote:
>

> >On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 11:44:08AM -0800, Kevin Balentine wrote:
> > >As an aside, I remember a cartoon from my youth,
> > >"Battle Between the Planets," I think was the name,
> > >featuring G Force with their ship, the Phoenix. Mark,
> > >Princess, Jason ... that's all I can remember.
> >
> >"Battle of the Planets" AKA "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman".
> >
> >See http://www.chronicsite.com/gatchaman/ for more than you ever
wanted
> >to know about this...
>
> Back on the topic of G's and C and space combat, a friend of mine once
> recommended a book titled "Forever War."  Has anyone read it, and can
they
> tell me who the author was?

Joe Haldeman.  It is an allegory about the Viet Nam War, particularily
about
how the GI's seemed to return to a very different America than the one
they
left behind.  Although the ships ARE faster than light, transit times
are long
for the people on the ship and even longer for people not on the ships
[ship
time to the Magellanic Clouds was over two years, the round trip seen
from
Earth took a few thousand].  The hero keeps re-enlisting because the war
is
the only familiar thing for him in the entire universe (besides his ever

Prev: RE: [FT] Tech Trees Next: Re: Near-Topic: G forces