Prev: Re: Population control was. Colonization stuff Next: Re: Rattling the Cage

Re: [FT] Tech Trees

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:55:24 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: [FT] Tech Trees

Roger Burton West schrieb:
> >using waste space. This is
> >fine if all you are simulating is dated tech across
> >the board.

> >OTOH, what if you're trying to simulate different
> >tech progressions? You have (as I see it) two
> >areas you can approach this from: Limiting
> >system types by "tech level" and affecting the
> >costs and or masses by the same degree.
>
> Limiting system types: this is fairly easy. I've seen
> campaign rules which say "to develop system X, you must first have
> system Y"; in fact, I'm planning to work on some of my own fairly
soon.

For many of the systems, you could make this fairly fine grained:
Not just Beams / no Beams, but count each beam strength as a separate
tech level, so you start wit Beam 1, progress to Beam 2 etc.
You could calls multi-arc weapons as separate levels. Start with
single-arc weapons, progress to 2 and 3-arc ones
Limit the number of specific systems a ship can carry, e.g.at low tech,
only a single beam-3 or a single Fire-control system.

> Changing costs/masses: this gets harder. Not because it's
> a bad idea, but because the mass/cost system is very granular;
> an FCS taking 2 mass rather than 1 is a huge penalty, and there's
> nothing in between.

It's messy, but as a house rule you could use fractional mass/points
cost, say an FCS for 1/2 or 1.5 mass.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Population control was. Colonization stuff Next: Re: Rattling the Cage