Prev: Re: [FT] IJN Designs? Next: Re: FT: Pre-read questions

[FT] Tech Trees

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 04:50:35 -0500
Subject: [FT] Tech Trees

I've seen some people simulate older FT
designs (Dean G?) using waste space. This is
fine if all you are simulating is dated tech across
the board. It sort of is a good generic way of
handling older designs, though it would have
been nice to see some % quantification on how
much more space you should use per year or
whatever to give an across the board fair use.

OTOH, what if you're trying to simulate different
tech progressions? You have (as I see it) two
areas you can approach this from: Limiting
system types by "tech level" and affecting the
costs and or masses by the same degree.

As I recall in Stars!, the tech for shrinking things
was miniaturization and became very important
in a tech tight universe.

I'm sure someone out there has an URL to
some tech tree ideas along either of these lines.

My main concern is I'd like to get something
that lets different nations progress at a very
slightly different rate in different tech areas, but
not enough so as to throw the whole shebang
so far off balance that one nation is
UberStrong. I find this a common flaw in tech
trees - once you figure out the advantageous
progress route or if you luckily get two or three
potentiating or synergistic advances (J.U.M.P.
into the Unknown comes to mind here), it
actually means you've got a huge advantage.

So, anyone want to offer up some URLs for
thought? :)

Tomb Raider
Spacially Perplexed Gropo
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: [FT] IJN Designs? Next: Re: FT: Pre-read questions