Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: FT: Pre-read questions

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 20:42:17 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: Pre-read questions

John A said:
> Actually, more than that.  Considerably so.

I refer you to Oerjan's post of 1/3/01--you were probably enjoying the
cheerful *wheet* of bullets past your ears at that point, IIRC, so
here's the relevant bit:

" If you include all the FB1 warships
(the 57 main entries, not every sub-variant) as well as the 8 IF ships
above [similar to current IF ships], you get an average
[cost increase to build a corresponding ship with FTL]
of 13.6% (with extreme values 6.7% and 20%).
Averaging over the thousand or so FB1-tech ships I currently have
archived gives 13.1%. Or at least it gave 13.1% a couple months ago; I
haven't checked since early November :-/

A 2-3% cost difference is generally too small to have a noticable
impact; the initiative rolls tend to have a bigger impact than this
(at
least for battles smaller than ~5000 pts per side). If you fight to
the
last ship and/or count ships that FTL from the battle as "killed",
+15%
works about as well as +10% - the inaccuracy is drowned by the effects
of initiative rolls (and maneuvering, lucky/unlucky threshold rolls,
etc.).

If OTOH you score more points for killed/captured enemy ships than for
cripples which escape (cf. the "Striking colours" thread) then the
sub-light ships have a distinct disavantage: they can't withdraw into
hyperspace, so they tend to die (or surrender/be captured) more often
than FTL-capable ones. This lowers their value a bit further, pushing
the cost increase down closer to 10% than 15%."

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON