Prev: ATTN: LASERLIGHT Next: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

RE: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:54:24 -0800
Subject: RE: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Beth Fulton Wrote:

>G'day,
>
> > and there is also another term for YANK that i used to hear that
some
> > times provoked  fist fights and at other times laughter, depending
on
> > how it  was used.
>
>It still surfaces, though isn't used quite as much by the younger urban
>Australian population any more ;)
>
> > about like	using a really colorful cuss word  as a fighting  word,
or
> > an a friendly name/greeting.
>
>We still do that a lot though ;)
>
>Beth

One of my father's favorite Navy stories involved Australia and
fistfights,
but NOT necessarily with Strines.  Humor me while I recall his tale:

Back in the 1960's, my fathers destroyer pulled into port in Darwin.
The
place was all gussied up and spit-polished, because HRH either had just
was
was soon to visit.  The place was already in the mood for a party.  When
his
ship arrived, a Royal NZ ship was already in port, and the native
populace
had been showing their Antipodean kin a Grand Old Time.  But as soon as
the
Yank sailors put ashore, the Aussies started ignoring the Kiwi sailors
and
focusing their hospitality on the USN.	This did not sit well with the
New
Zealanders.  Soon, American sailors learned not to walk close to the
buildings when they passed open pub doors - fists would appear from the
doorways an deck them.	This went on for some time, until the evening my

father and a friend, both teetotalers, found a Kiwi lying face down in
the
street, as drunk as only a sailor can get.  It turned out to be the XO
of
the other ship.  My father and his friend picked the gent up, and
carried
him back to his ship.  The Kiwis gave them a huge cheer, reacting under
the
illusion that the two Yanks had drunk their First Mate under the table.

>From that point on, there was almost no trouble between the two groups.

2B^2

Prev: ATTN: LASERLIGHT Next: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[