Prev: RE: [FT] Fighter missile racks Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

From: Edward Lipsett <translation@i...>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:34:17 +0900
Subject: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

True, a lot of social considerations here.
In the American pioneering era, however, having 8 or 15 siblings was not
considered unusual.

Not a big issue, I must admit.

Laserlight wrote:

> > >Other people may, of
> > >course, have different ideas, but I would imagine that babies get
> born
> > >out of wedlock rather more often in colonial societies
>
> More often than what?
>
> I'd always thought that empires in the expansion stage tended to be
> fairly conservative about that kind of thing.    For three examples,
> the early Romans, Arab Conquest Moslems, and Genghid Mongols.  I could
> be wrong and I'm sure counter-examples would be easy to find (and
> that's not to say everyone in a society conforms to the rules they say
> they value).	But in any event, it's easy to imagine colonial
> societies--eg Amish, Puritans, etc--where that wouldn't apply.

=====
Edward Lipsett
Intercom, Ltd.
Fukuoka, Japan
translation@intercomltd.com
http://www.intercomltd.com
Tel: +81-92-712-9120

Prev: RE: [FT] Fighter missile racks Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[