Prev: RE: Bugs was Re: em4 figures Next: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:47:51 +1100
Subject: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

G'day,

>Think of how long it would take to generate enough
> single-family housing for 10,000 people,

Assuming that terraforming etc even allow for this in the early years.
Its
all too possible that even on colony worlds humans will actually clump
together. Look at Australia, almost the entire population is contained
along
the eastern seaboard... its like when they settled they didn't the idea
one
bit and so they stayed so close to the edge they nearly fell off again
;)

> The baby boom would draw some females out of the
> pool during pregnancy

That depends entirely on the work I'd say. I wasn't exactly upto major
lifting, but I was walking 2+km a day and working full time (OK on
computers, not tending fields) until the day before each of my kids was
born. Once they were born I was back at work after 2 weeks (mind you
Derek
is Mr Mum and I was either at Uni or working from home like now).

> Emergency transport - ambulance service - probably could be
> serviced by 10 or 20 teams total, but must be maintained 24/7
> so count them as a three man team times 3 shifts - another
> 180 personnel plus maintenance for their vehicles.

Unless of course some of the positions are done by volunteers in their
"down
time" (then entire period covered between them), as is the case in rural
Tasmania.

Cheers

Prev: RE: Bugs was Re: em4 figures Next: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[