Prev: Re: [SG] Boarding Party Considerations Next: Re: [SG] Boarding Party Considerations

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: "Flak Magnet" <flakmagnet72@y...>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 00:19:41 -0500
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

On 2 Feb 2002 at 8:04, John Atkinson wrote:

+++SNIP+++

> God, but you sound like a 2LT.  "I read it in a book
> so it must be TRUE!"	That's been the theme of a lot
> of your posts over the past.

That's funny, most of your posts have had common themes also.
Nay-saying any
new or different concepts/technology and a general closedmindedness
being two of
the more notable ones.	Somewhere between your nay-saying and the
fullfillment of
every gadget-freak's dreams are where real applications of technology
really lie.

> > were saying the same thing about the US's
> > first Proximity Fuzed anti-aircraft rounds in WWII.
> > "You mean this
> > fancy doo dad is going to know when to explode next
> > to one o' them
> > nazi planes???   Sheeeit..."
>

> > *shrug*  If you really don't want light anti-armor
> > capability in your
> > weapon fine. Do you also not want the ability to
> > reach behind cover?
>
> You keep telling me it's got anti-armor capability.  I
> point out that it MIGHT take a BRDM, but not anything
> bigger.  And if I've got BRDMs running around, then a
> .50 cal has quite adequate anti-armor capability.  As
> for reaching behind cover, Mk-19s or M-203s do quite
> fine, thank you.  And yes, in my platoon there are two
> .50 cals, and 2 Mk-19s.  What more do I need,
> especially while running around on a breach?

M-203's are best-guess weapons, accuracy being more of an art than
sighting in
your target and aiming center-mass.  The OICW concept is an attempt to
put
explosives behind enemy cover with accuracy, instead of lobbing it in.
By putting
more of the OICW's in the field than 203's there is a gain in volume of
fire that
might mitigate the size of the round.

I don't know about the armor pentration capability.  It's dubious to me
that such a
small round could start smacking the snot out of light armor, but the
air-bursting
capabilities seem very desireable, even over a M-203 and in many
situations the
Mk-19* is unusable.  MOUT** operations being a biggie, where the
airburst grenade
capability of the OICW would rock.

IF they can make it work.  IF Pvt Snuffy can make it work and IF the
darned thing
doesn't wind up weighing a ton (any more than any other honker of a
weapon), then
the OICW is a weapon system that's worth testing.  They can't test it
until it's
developed, if nay-sayers like you were in charge of weapons system
design, you
wouldn't have a Mk-19 on your vehicles, because they'd only be used by
the navy's
landing craft, and even then only in their older hand-cranked versions
to pump out
the rounds, (like the first gatling guns).

Our Navy and Air Force are the most effective in the world, due in large
part to the
technology they put to use.  The Army is investigating ways to update
itself in that
same way... failure to do so and our lower numbers will hose us, because
it's the
tech that will make the difference.  America can't survive an attrition
war, it has to
win another way.  That other way is by applying our know-how to kill
them better
and faster than they kill us.  Technology is part of that know-how.

--Flak

For the civillian or less than militaristically inclined:

* The Mk-19 is a 40mm grenade launcher that must be on a tripod or
pintle to fire.
It fires belts of 40mm grenades.  It's "officially" a 2-man carried
weapon.

** MOUT = Military Operation in Urban Terrain, basically it's urban
warfare.

Prev: Re: [SG] Boarding Party Considerations Next: Re: [SG] Boarding Party Considerations