Prev: Re: [FT] Multimode fighters (was IJN Designs?) Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:36:44 EST
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:10:21 +1100 "Alan and Carmel Brain"
<aebrain@austarmetro.com.au> writes:
>From: <DAWGFACE47@webtv.net>
>
>> against mere 7th world  idjits with AKs or bolt action rifles,
>grenades,
>> bows, spears, swords, knives, and clubs to combat them  with
>glue-guns,
>> laserlights, capture nets, very long range stun darts using	drugs,
>or
>> shock darts using electricity, gas sprayers, water guns, beanbag
>> blasters,  tennis ball launchers, flower launchers bad langauge
>> dispensers, and anything  else that is utterly ridicoulous to even
>> consider arming a combat soldier with for "humane warfare".
>
>Scenario:
>First line consists of 6-year olds, some armed, some human bombs, some
>not.
>Second line consists of mothers with babies in arms, mixed
>with mothers with toddlers in one hand and AK-47s in the other.
>Third line consists of military-age males with RPGs, spears, etc.
>
>It would be very nice to have options other than to "kill em all and
>let God sort em out".

It's called Peace and it's a rare and cherished item.

In your scenario it's not peace.

It may not be declared war (when's the last time *that* was done?) but
it
is definitely not a crowd of Christmas shoppers.  The threat of deadly
force (those bombs/guns) takes it out of the level of crowd control.
They are the ones forfeiting their rights to be treated as
non-combatants

>The US Army has already been faced with similar situations, schoolkids
>tied on the front of tanks etc. You have a choice of losing your life
>or losing your soul.

Or your mind.

>I've been told by someone in the Australian armed forces that when
>they faced this situation, they retreated.
>
>Then came back after dark and took appropriate action on the leaders.
>
>This is not always an option.

Speaking strictly theoretically of course:

Sometimes you have to accept the cards dealt are rotten with all options
morally unacceptable and *the mission* doesn't allow pulling back or
nice
behavior and then, God Forbid,	you call in the artillery strike because
*they* won't know what is happening until afterwards.  And they can
blame
it on you.  Sometimes that's what leaders have to do.  It's not fair but
combat isn't about fair.  It's about staying alive, keeping your
comrades
alive and maybe, along the way, winning the conflict.

Sometimes war sucks and sometimes the behavior that passes for
"operations short of war" is worse.

It's better when it's a game.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [FT] Multimode fighters (was IJN Designs?) Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON