Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: [OT] Colonial educational and justice systems, with rant.

Re: [FT] Multimode fighters (was IJN Designs?)

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:10:48 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Multimode fighters (was IJN Designs?)

Roger Burton West wrote:

> Here's my transforming fighter proposal... I'd love to know how much
you
> think they should cost. At _least_ 7 per fighter (42 per group), and I
> think 8 could be justified. (Why "multimode" instead of
"transformable"?
> Well, we already have a fighter type beginning with "T"...)

How about V for veriabletype, or veritypes. ;)

> In F mode: Standard move is 24", secondary move 12". May attack small
> targets (fighters, missiles, plasma bolts) normally, but suffer a -1
> die roll modifier to attacks on ships.
>
> In G mode: Standard move is 18", secondary move 9". Attacks small
> targets at -1 to the die roll, normal anti-ship attack.
>
> In B mode: Standard move is 12", secondary move 6". Attacks small
> targets as attack fighters (kill only on a 6); anti-ship attack is
> special.

I think what Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:

F mode - behaves like an interceptor
G mode - behaves like a standard fighter.
B mode - behaves like an attack fighter.

Is better but keep the movement changes.

> B-mode fighters may swarm an enemy ship, concentrating fire on exposed
> systems at much shorter ranges than is usually possible. The fighter
> group must close to contact with the enemy ship - all PDS gets a +1
> bonus against these slow-moving targets - and may then deploy a
> needle-beam-style attack: each surviving fighter gets one attack,
which
> kills an enemy system on a roll of 6 but otherwise does no damage.
> (Core systems, screen generators and the FTL drive may not be
targeted,
> as they do not have sufficient exposed surface features.) More than
one
> fighter may attack a single system target, but all system targets must
> be designated before attack resolution begins.
>
> A B-mode fighter group which has successfully made an attack may
remain
> with the ship it has just attacked (moving as if it were a screening
> group in contact with the ship), and is not susceptible to attacks
from
> fighters or from ADFC-linked PDS while it does so (the battroids are
in
> physical contact with the surface of the ship). However, PDS mounted
on
> the target ship, including beam-1s, fire at +2. The group must make a
> morale check each turn, at the normal point, and if it fails must
break
> off from contact on its next move.

I don't like the damage. They're there on the hull, I'm sure they can do
1 pt by just poiting their gun down and shooting. I'd say they
automatically do 1 pt and on a 6 they take out the system. What do
people think of a +1 for every B mode shooting at the same system? So 1
fighter is hits on a 6, 2 on 5+ and so on.

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: [OT] Colonial educational and justice systems, with rant.