Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry...

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:09:42 -0500
Subject: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry...

Ryan Gill wrote:

> Something that occurred to me when I was discussing this thread with
> Randy at work a little while ago.
>
> If you have a plant that can make Chips, robot tractors, laser guns
> and anything else. What are your colonist doing? Given the current
> technology with regards to  farming and the decrease in the
> requirement for manual labor, I don't see massive food production
> taking that much human labor. Even if it stays where we are now, its
> still not much of a fraction of the pop of a 250,000 number colony.
>
> What are they all doing? Sanitizing telephones and making
> documentaries about each other? I guess, you could have lots of
> security guards...

If you have that much automation, you may as well not bother sending the
people.  The people are there to not be killed by planetary disasters
somewhere else, not live among intolerance, create unique societies, go
back to nature with a vengeance, study biology in a relatively untainted
environment, conduct unauthorised experiments in genetic and/or social

Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[