Prev: Re: [FT] Multimode fighters (was IJN Designs?) Next: Re: [FT] EMP Missiles

Re: FT-IJN Designs?

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:45:33 GMT
Subject: Re: FT-IJN Designs?

In message <006901c1a9ff$e90ecb20$0a16ac3e@pbncomputer>
	  "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@tesco.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Sticking with the WW2 model for a bit, it ought to be remembered that
> Special Type DDs and most of the bigger cruisers were horribly
overloaded as
> built- they ought to have weaker hulls for a given size than the Big 4
> fleets. That would also provide anime-style catastrophic ship losses.
As
> the DDs mostly had effective torpedo reload systems, my thought is to
have
> SMLs with 2 shots per launcher, and extended range at that.  Japanese
AA was
> sometimes plentiful but mostly poor, except for those big late DDs-
> (Akizuki? Akatsuki?- brain fades). That's an idea- big carriers with
more
> interceptors than normal to cover inadequate PDS (I don't say it's a
good
> idea, just an idea). A fleet tactic would be to out-FSE the FSE,
hurling in
> a lot of fighters and long range SMs, the using the big ships to kick
> surviving vessels (enemy survivors, that is).
>
> My IJN mega fleet arrived today.  They are so good, it makes up for a
bit of
> the roof blowing off and falling on the car!
>
> Rob Paul

I'd definately go with either extended-range SMs or 'long lance'
missiles (assuming they become 'official') - especially as very few
SML-using designs are efficient at using SM-ERs (if you do load them,
you probably waste some magazine space).
A design with, as you suggest, a number of SMLs with 6 MASS magazines
(housing 2 SM-ERs each) whould be a little different from other races
SML designs (FSE tend to have 1 big magazine with 1 or more launchers).

Charles

Prev: Re: [FT] Multimode fighters (was IJN Designs?) Next: Re: [FT] EMP Missiles