Prev: Re: Bunker question Next: Re: How much does FTL travel cost?

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:27:11 -0500
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

At 11:34 AM -0500 1/31/02, Tim Gray wrote:

>Yeah, someone had mentioned a mortar baseplate, ammo, T&E, etc...
>that would make such a burdensome weapon as the OICW even more
>impractical.

One key factor about the OICW is that the 5.56 module can be
separated from the 20mm Module and used separately by adding a small
stock and iron site component. The 5.56 module is for all practical
purposes the majority of a G36 with external changes to the chassis.
It would take standard M16 magazines too. Troops requiring a
temporary lighter component would be able to detach the larger
section and use just the 5.56 unit. Also note, the whole OICW
component is meant for those men in the squad that would be using the
40mm grenade component on their M4's anyhow.

The fellows toting around the mortar wouldn't likely be kitted out
with an OICW as well.

>Agreed.  It was rare to see anything, and even then, all I ever saw
>was SRT (Military Police SWAT) with some scopes, ACOGs and
>occasionally some 11B's in the woods with night-sights.

Front like combat soldiers tend to have them. If they had the ability
to handle light anti-armor rounds as well, they'd be happier I think.

Remember the whole reason of the OICW is that it reduces the need for
other anti-armor rounds and gives a better ranged grenade capability.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			       '72 Honda CB750 -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill	      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
- C&R-FFL - /	Protect Freedom AND Security	  \	       -
-    NRA   /  http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/   \ DoD #0780 -

Prev: Re: Bunker question Next: Re: How much does FTL travel cost?