Prev: Re: STREET VIOLENCE MINIATURES Next: Re: How much does FTL travel cost?

RE: [FT] IJN Designs?

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:58:34 +1100
Subject: RE: [FT] IJN Designs?

On Thursday, January 31, 2002 9:57 AM, aebrain@austarmetro.com.au
[SMTP:aebrain@austarmetro.com.au] wrote:
> A 5-endurance MT missile (the "long lance" config) works for me, but
obviously leaves you cold. Either SMs or PTs make an acceptable
substitute.
I really prefer MTs, but it's a matter of taste - your opinion is at
least
as good as mine.

> > I presume that your ship with 12+ MT missiles is intended as a
Kitakami
analog (Kitakami was rebuilt in 1942 to carry no less than 40(!) 24-inch
torpedo tubes.)
> Concur. Super Destroyers (Fubuki) and not-so-small-light-cruisers
masquerading as destroyers. ( 8x5" guns + heavy AA...)

> > I'm thinking about making the heavy carrier analogous to the
historical
Akagi as she was orginally completed, with say 5 squadrons and a fairly
strong beam armament (as originally completed Akagi carried 65 aircraft
and
10 8-inch guns.)
> > but the "big, fast, lots of fighters" version (a Zuikaku analog)
certainly has a lot to recommend it (and would give Jon a chance to make
TWO
heavy carrier models for the Japanese).
> The fleet at the end of all this should be able to hold its own
against
any of the FB1 fleets, yet not be over-optimised, and have a distinct
flavour. Which IMHO is the object of the exercise.
> Just try not to take the analogy too far: FT feels more to me like
Naval
Warfare in about 1900 than 1945. So Zuikaku with speed 6 might have no
more
than 6 fighter squads, lots of PDS.

Alan, I presume the mass of the Long Lance is 2?  It wasn't stated when
mentioned during WotW discussions.

A few possible designs for discussion

Destroyer
Mass: 40
Cost:
MD: 6
FTL: Yes
Hull: 12; 3/3/3/3
Armour: 1
Crew: 2
Systems: 11 mass
1 x FCS
2 x PDS
1 x Pulsetorp (F)
2 x Long Lance Capship missiles

Heavy Cruiser
Mass: 84
Cost:
MD: 6
FTL: Yes
Hull: 24; 6/6/6/6
Armour: 4
Crew: 5
Systems: 26 mass
2 x FCS
ADFC
3 x PDS
2 x Pulsetorp (F)
2 x Class-2 (6-arc)
2 x Long Lance Capship missiles

Battlecruiser
Mass: 130
Cost:
MD:  6
FTL:  Yes
Hull: 38; 9/9/10/10
Armour:
Crew: 7
Systems: 40
3 x FCS
ADFC
4 x PDS
Fighter Bay - Std Fighters
2 x Pulsetorps (F)
2 x Long Lance Capship missiles
4 x Class-2 (2 x AP/FP/F, 2 x F/FS/AS)

SuperDreadnought
Mass: 240
Cost:
MD:  4
FTL:  Yes
Hull: 72; 18/18/18/18
Armour: 10
Crew: 12
Systems: 86 mass
4 x FCS
ADFC
4 x PDS
Fighter Bay - Std Fighters
3 x Pulsetorps (FP/F/FS)
4 x Long Lance Capship missiles
2 x Class-4 (F)
4 x Class-3 (2 x AP/FP/F, 2 x F/FS/AS)
3 x Class-2 (6-arc)

Light Carrier
Mass: 180
Cost:
MD:  6
FTL:  Yes
Hull: 48; 12/12/12/12
Armour: 6
Crew:
Systems: 52
2 x FCS
ADFC
4 x PDS
4 x Fighter Bays - Std fighters
2 x Long Lance capship missiles
4 x Class-2 (2 x AP/FP/F, 2 x F/FS/AS)
2 x Class-1 (6-arc)

Brendan

Prev: Re: STREET VIOLENCE MINIATURES Next: Re: How much does FTL travel cost?