Prev: Re: Re: [FT] New weapon system..sort of? Next: RE: Re: [FT] New weapon system..sort of?

RE: colony size was 1900's

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:08:58 +1100
Subject: RE: colony size was 1900's

G'day,

> Yes it works for games but in real life I think and earth like planet
> well be pulsed up with people (the one resource we are never short
> of) very quickly.

Its not the people its the getting them there that is the bottle neck
when
I've been doing my modelling for people.

>  These are the initial numbers I think a million plus would
> happen in a very short time.

Depends on population base supporting the fledgling colony, how many
extra
migrants come and how fast, what kind of tech they've got supporting
their
population growth and how easily the planet is converted to what humans
consider "nice".

So in the various GZG population models I've done, I've had starting
populations spanning anything from 600 to 100,000 though about 10,000 is
the
most common. The fastest growth I've seen in the models is for cases
like
John's where there was HEAVY relocation of population from Earth (on the
order of 100,000s per year), or where tech helped keep reproduction at
about
5% per year. However, on ecofriendly worlds it shouldn't be too hard to
reach a million within about 100 years even with more conservative
reproduction and immigration levels. Really depends on the assumptions
you
make (though to justify the size of their fleets etc, most people in the
GZGverse tend to assume high support, high tech, high reproduction
rates,
healthy immigration rates and a solution to people transport in space).

Cheers

Prev: Re: Re: [FT] New weapon system..sort of? Next: RE: Re: [FT] New weapon system..sort of?