Prev: Re: FT-IJN Designs? Next: [OT] How many class M planets are there?

Re: FT-IJN Designs?

From: aebrain@a... (Alan E Brain)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:57:20 +1100
Subject: Re: FT-IJN Designs?

> I don't like MT missiles and never use them.

A 5-endurance MT missile (the "long lance" config) works for me, but
obviously leaves you cold. Either SMs or PTs make an acceptable
substitute. I really prefer MTs, but it's a matter of taste - your
opinion is at least as good as mine.

> I presume that your ship with 12+ MT missiles is intended as a
Kitakami analog (Kitakami was rebuilt in 1942 to carry no less than
40(!) 24-inch torpedo tubes.)

Good to meet a man who knows his IJN ships! Well spotted.

> I'm working on a similar ship, but with lots of pulse torps.

Which would make sense if you don't use MTs.

>Japanese destroyers should likewise be larger and more powerfully
gunned.

Concur. Super Destroyers (Fubuki) and not-so-small-light-cruisers
masquerading as destroyers. ( 8x5" guns + heavy AA...)

> I'm thinking about making the heavy carrier analogous to the
historical Akagi as she was orginally completed, with say 5 squadrons
and a fairly strong beam armament (as originally completed Akagi carried
65 aircraft and 10 8-inch guns.)

Makes sense to me.

> but the "big, fast, lots of fighters" version (a Zuikaku analog)
certainly has a lot to recommend it (and would give Jon a chance to make
TWO heavy carrier models for the Japanese).

You spotted that one too, well done.

The fleet at the end of all this should be able to hold its own against
any of the FB1 fleets, yet not be over-optimised, and have a distinct
flavour. Which IMHO is the object of the exercise.

Prev: Re: FT-IJN Designs? Next: [OT] How many class M planets are there?