Prev: Re: Speaking of verdammt pet peeves! Next: Re: Tanks. Speaking of verdammt pet peeves!

Re: colony size was 1900's

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:25:29 -0500
Subject: Re: colony size was 1900's

At 11:42 AM +0100 1/30/02, KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

>Well, in this whole thread, very little has been said about actual coly
>sizes. My impression was that most people on this thread thought in
>terms of wilderness planets with very thinly scattered populations.

Its a pretty nebulous concept which is why I've be using very general
ideas that certain products require more industries behind their
production than do older technology items (steel Firearm vs chemical
laser).

>Well, at medieval technology levels, a settlement of a few dozen people
>is basically self-sustaining (assuming an earthlike environment),
>though prone to be wiped out by local catastrophes. A single settlement
>of 5.000 to 10.000 people is quite a large town, and hardly
>self-sustaining. It will require food brought in from surrounding
>areas.

I'd figure that you'd have a great deal of robotics and automated
systems helping the farmers out on the fields. ie doing much of the
mindless work of mow this field, plow that one, harvest that one. GPS
would allow a very easy way of telling a robot where to go and what
path to follow. So our farmer is something of a sysytem's operator
who can do basic parts replacement and welding and such. Just like
they can now. They also know something about bio tech and other
plant/animal technologies.

I suspect that mining operations are going to be in place in various
parts of the region that has been settled. Also, basic drilling and
pumping operations for petrochemicals for industrial process (this is
easy as it takes less work to keep a well going than it does to keep
a mine working).

Your towns would be geared towards supplying the basic needs of the
population. First is power and water. New clothes is also high on the
list assuming natural fibers. Then theres variety in food. Most
complex items are going to be shipped in. Supplies of materials,
parts, goods, machinery, and other gear is going to be very very
surge based. Not a steady stream like a running economy on Earth is.
Given how reliable a computer is now days your colonist won't need to
be making those. They'll be wanting other more important items
shipped in besides chip fabrication plants that take up an entire
ship ( I still don't think you'll be able to get a chip fab system in
a container, industries have become more complex and larger as our
technology has progressed, not smaller).

I also forsee basic mills and other plants that process the raw
materials harvested into things more easily usable. Food processing,
ore processing, lumber mills, an oil refinery then a chemical plant,
a brewery and likely very soon, someone will make a distillery, even
if very small. All of these industries will take materials from local
harvest as well as additional influxes of off planet gear and
hardware to expand their capability.

For example, likely your refinery will start out just separating your
basic petro chemicals and doing some basic purity refining. You'll
have kerosene, petrol, diesel, lube oil, fuel oils and would be able
to take many of those things and send them to the chemical plant for
further refining. Some of those are still going to be useful to your
budding colony, others too dirty to be used.

Also, your major export will be what ever is in short supply back in
other colonies or for a better price, what ever the home worlds lack.

Things will progress faster and be more self-sustainable if you have
a set play book. Build a settlement. Expand it to the size of a state
where the longest travel to the capital is half a day by the average
form of transport. You won't waste time designing new things unless
you have to. Use an existing design that the colony founders
licensed.

Then when you've got that built, you start pumping people and
machinery into the next area that looks very promising. It could be
right next door, it could be on the next river system on the other
side of the continent.

>However, spreading 200.000 people over a whole planet AND assuming
>high-tech industry implies very easy transportation and communications.
>I don't see a viable infrastructure or vehicle industry within that
>framework.

Agreed.

>200.000 people in a reasonably compact area (a US state or European
>country, at most) might be more plausible.

Especially given some quickly built roads for heavy traffic and some
sort of basic air car. I see something the size of germany or
Oklahoma depending.

--
Ryan Gill	  |	   |	     rmgill@mindspring.com
		  |	   |

Prev: Re: Speaking of verdammt pet peeves! Next: Re: Tanks. Speaking of verdammt pet peeves!