Prev: RE: On keeping domesticated peeves as pets Next: Re: DS2 More on Cascadia: CasCav

Re: Laser Weapons

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:35:32 +0100
Subject: Re: Laser Weapons

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Clinton" <grumbling_grognard@hotmail.com>
> >I can buy a laser as an anti-tank weapon.  I really have to
> >suspend disbelief in the anti-creature category.  The massive
> >energy required is much better used throwing small pieces of
> >mass at your opponent or prey.
> >
> >Roger
>

> These all assume visible light (or near visible light LASERs).  It is
my
> understanding that X-Ray (and other high freq. light) LASERs are what
hold
> the real 'promise' in this field.

Pretty doubtful, certainly for hand-held weaponry. Too many problems
with
focussing / producing / controlling them / effect.

You are not perhaps confusing this with anti-missile space weaponry,
where
som people do indeed think they are the way to go and where many issues
are
quite different.

Greetings

Prev: RE: On keeping domesticated peeves as pets Next: Re: DS2 More on Cascadia: CasCav