Prev: Re[2]: [SG] Suicide Bombers Next: Re: colonial tech

Re: C.J. Cherryh

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:39:24 -0800
Subject: Re: C.J. Cherryh

St^3 Jon Wrote:

>I am also a huge fan of Cherryh's work - it's refreshing in the way
that
>most of the techie bits and heavy SF stuff forms just an accepted part
of
>her characters' background and life, just as it should, rather than
being
>thrust at the reader with huge technobabble infodumps and spurious
>exposition (oooh, lots of long words for so early in the morning....)
;-)

I refer to this as the "Gee Whiz" factor.  Aasimov's work can fall into
this
trap, especially his longer novels (His short stories seem a bit more
focused IMHO).	It's one of the reasons I love Bradbury so (I know, old
school, so much new stuff out there, but I still rate him my favorite).
He
is first and foremost a storyteller.  In fact, many of my favorite
stories
he wrote are not even set ina Science Fiction background.  Sort of
reminds
me of Mexican Magic Realism.

2B^2

Prev: Re[2]: [SG] Suicide Bombers Next: Re: colonial tech