Prev: Re: [FT] Wacky question - non-FTL Carrier Next: RE: [OT] Coming to Europe for a couple of weeks ...

Re: C.J. Cherryh

From: jfoster@k...
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:43:52 +0000
Subject: Re: C.J. Cherryh

For an interesting historical/political
background for fleet actions, I'd recommend her
_Downbelow Station_ in which the terran navy has
essentially been reduced to independently
operating as warlords, given their lack of either
support from or recall to home, yet still
attempting to fulfill their strategic mission.
(Caveat: as such, the navy are *not* depicted in
the best light, but it's interesting all the
same.)

<pre>
Hi all,

I think this got lost originally during that FT
list server burp earlier
last week. Here goes again...

This is old news for some, I'm sure, but if you
haven't read them and
you're a hard science fiction fan, get as many of
C.J. Cherryh's novels as
you can find...

I'm just starting the fifth 'Chanur' book -
brilliant aliens, great story,
and interesting tech. (In order: "The Pride of
Chanur", "Chanur's
Venture", "The Kif Strike Back", "Chanur's
Homecoming", "Chanur's
Legacy". The first three have been released
together fairly recently as
one big paperback volume.)

My favourite part of the Chanur books is that
the 'big enegmatic alien
threat from the dark beyond that threatens all
the characters know and
love'... is humanity...

She's also one of the only authors I've read who
has an idea how BIG space
is, and can communicate that in her writing.
Really great spaceflight
descriptions - things like effect of FTL/time lag
on comms & sensors,
near-FTL time dilation, etc.

As a bonus, Cherryh does some of the best alien
societies I've read.
Really *alien*, and well presented.

Get down to your local library or bookstore and
grab them.

ObGZG bit: There's a lot of inspiration for
Stargrunt II or FMASk
scenarios in these books, actually. Firefights on
space station docks and
corridors, mostly. FT stuff too, but you'd have
to use houserules to
really get the flavour of Cherryh's books in FT.

Enjoy,

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- <a
href="http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html">http://
warbard.iwarp.com/games.html</a>-

</pre>

Prev: Re: [FT] Wacky question - non-FTL Carrier Next: RE: [OT] Coming to Europe for a couple of weeks ...