Prev: Animal weaponry was Re: [SG] Suicide Bombers Next: This is a GAMING list not a RELIGION list!

Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:35:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers

>Uhh. . . they DO exist.  I ordered a big platoon deal
>of IFed weenies and out of 72, Jon included 3 suicide
>bombers.
>
>Besides, that last sentence only makes sense if your
>culture places value on human life.  We're talking
>about Muslims, so that's not a factor.

Ok, I tried.  I really did.

I've bitten my tongue and said nothing for weeks now, as J.A. rants and
raves and makes these sorts of remarks.

Other people have responded with well-thought-out remarks... and I
*know*
that there really isn't any point in responding, because he just doesn't
understand that people are *actually* offended by this sort of racist
horseshit.  I know that...

Maybe it's the weather, or something... but I just can't let that one go
without saying *something*.

John, why do you feel the need to say stuff like this.	You know it
genuinely offends people, and it is manifestly, obviously wrong.  I
suppose
it is redundant of me to ask if you've met *all* Muslims, isn't it?
That
there are plenty of Muslims living in the good ole' U.S.of A. (that,
goodness forbit, might actually serve their country loyally in the armed
forces, but maintain their Muslim culture) that might not agree that
they,
*all of them*, *every last one*, place no value on human life...?  This
is
like "All Germans Are Nazis", "All Americans are Racist Rednecks", etc.
etc.

So what gives?

I know you've said that 75%+ of your comments are said with some kind of
tongue in cheek, and I'm inclined by nature to give you the benefit of
the
doubt, but really...  There is a line between "charmingly provocative"
and
"boorish".  Even between "justifiably angry" and "boorish", though the
line
is narrower.

This list is, most of the time, a pretty civil, polite, interesting and
largely flame free place to "hang out and chat".  Lots of great people
from
all over the place, who manage to have pleasant and informative chats
about
lots of different subjects, often actually related to GZG stuff...

We all like it that way.  That's what this list is about.

And then there is you.	Lots and lots of interesting and informative and
creative ideas, and then you run off at the mouth with that kind of
ignorant crap, which *you know* makes people angry, and lowers the
quality
of the list experience for everyone (except, I guess, you).

If we say "pretty please" will you at least *consider* other people
before
spouting off?  I'm not asking you to change your views, or anything like
that.  It would be wrong of me to tell you to change your views.  But do
you really *have* to be inflammatory to the point where it makes the
list
less fun?  It really is quite selfish.

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Animal weaponry was Re: [SG] Suicide Bombers Next: This is a GAMING list not a RELIGION list!