Prev: Re: Questions on Kra'Vax, Pant, and other things Next: Convoy Escort Carriers (ACVE)

Support your distributors

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:29:28 -0500
Subject: Support your distributors

1) Jon's (St. cubed John of Needham) a good
guy and very much sets the open tone for this
community. He's also fast on delivery and finds
ways to convince me that a 2.50 Canadian to
British Pound conversion makes sense
(wonders never cease). He has some moulds
no one else does.

2) Nic at Eureka is also a great guy. Fast
service, good exchange right now for Yanks and
not bad for Canucks. And he has some moulds
like the Cockroach Grav Tank (on the website)
and the Cockroach APC (mysteriously absent
from the website) which are very cool (although
a little construction intensive sometimes
depending on how careful the pour was).
Always a pleasure to deal with.

3) KR is (and I can attest to this) a very nice
fellow too. And he even likes passable beer,
which I consider a minor miracle in an
American. <Why does Canada export Blue Light
to the USA? For them, it's a strong beer with
some taste. For us, its a water-substitute.
*grin*>. His turn around times are good, and
MOST IMPORTANTLY he goes out of his way to
provide excellent support for GZG ECC (and I
suspect WCC). I can't understate the _VALUE_
of this contribution to the hobby. Jon does this
in England, but having KR do it for us here in
North America is very important. ECC continues
to grow (thanks to the tireless efforts of Jon
Davis, Mark Kochte, Jerry Han and a few others -
 including the infamous Weyland-Yutani
Negotiatior Mr. Calivari) and KR's support of
this event is a pretty key cornerstone.
Additionally, Geohex is pretty great stuff.... I've
finally broke down and bought a 100 pc set,
and other than the "how the heck do I
transport 3 chests full of styrofoam in a
Mustang?" question, I'm very pleased with it. I
can make my own terrain, but the interlocking
build-your-own system is very handy (just don't
take it out of your home too often!). I enjoy
saying Hi to KR at ECC and going out for beer
with him and he helped me out prior to the big
Grey Day scenario a few years back by giving a
"quicker than fast" AFV painting lesson
(between my arrival on Friday and the Saturday
start time!) which meant all the models on the
table were painted! All in all, if the Canadian
Dollar wasn't working on being a 2:1 trade for
a US UberDollar, I'd be sending him a pile more
business! When things calm down and the
exchange rate (I hope) resumes something like
sanity (say 0.75 US), I'll be ordering some
more Geo-hex! Ordering from Jon and Nic is
handy for getting some stuff KR doesn't have
moulds for or tailoring your order a bit more
(KR has blisters that aren't always as
convenient), but it is a good idea to spread the
money around as KR is a key part of the North
American GZG movement!

4) I'd also like to add a brief plug for David D
at DLD Productions. He and Lisa have
combined to deliver some very very cool resin
kits which demonstrate the complexity you can
develop in a resin and the quality of casting and
pre-delivery finish work that can be provided to
a customer. I rank his casting as above the
quality of anyone but Armorcast (whom I think
of as the big kahuna of resin casting, but the
DLD kits seem as well cast to be frank!). His kits
require some more construction, but the detail
level is quite amazing. They should appeal to
the superdetailers (those who like to add
touches to something to have it look just right -
like extra weapons, kits, cam nets, etc) and
therefore want an excellent basic kit. Also, the
DLD kits do (with the exception of the recce
track which I think should have armoured crew
compartments) have a fairly plausible look to
them and seem very well thought out from a
design perspective (perhaps drawing more
carefully from real world sources). And David's
FT stuff is pretty cool too, though I have to find
some money to order the space station and
satellite stuff yet!

5) Lastly, I'd like to put in another brief plug for
Ainsty and Brigade. They've also both been very
good to mail order from and Tony at Brigade is
just a damn nice guy too. (Hint: What separates
us from the Games Orcshop crew? Partly the
game mechanics, but largely the community
and the core of the community is the kind of
folks who produce and sell the models we use!).

End of semi-commercial plugging. Just
remember, any and all of these distributors of
GZG or closely relatable products are worth
doing business with, but it is usually a good
idea to support the guys in your back yard as
they end up being the ones supporting
conventions and other such things!

Thomas B.
PS - Speaking of conventions, Ottawa hosts
Cangames on the Victoria Day weekend and I'm
thinking of running a GZG game there and it
also hosts Autumn Assault on the second or
third weekend in November, and I'll likely put on
a GZG game there. Anyone in the area would be
welcome at either and if you need some info, I
can try to get it for you if you drop me a line.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: Questions on Kra'Vax, Pant, and other things Next: Convoy Escort Carriers (ACVE)