Prev: Re:[OT] Coming to Europe for a couple of weeks ... Next: Re: Re:[OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife

Re: [semi-OT] black hawk down?

From: Don Greenfield <gryphon@s...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:48:51 -0700
Subject: Re: [semi-OT] black hawk down?

At 04:30 PM 1/25/02 -0800, you wrote:

>--- Don Greenfield <gryphon@sisna.com> wrote:
> > At 04:58 PM 1/22/02 -0800, you wrote:
> > >I suppose the problem there was putting the guy who
> > hadn't done it before
> > >on the chopper in the first place.
> >
> > According to the book, he hadn't even been through
> > Ranger school.  WTF??
>
>Most Rangers in the Ranger Regiment havn't.  They go
>to an abbreviated version thereof (RIP).  Ranger
>Course is a leadership development course
>(allegedly--most tabbed Rangers I've met have been
>really crappy leaders)

How long is this abbreviated course?  I thought that Rangers were
supposed
to be (relatively) elite troops.  Not Special Forces/SEAL level, but
better
than the ordinary run of troops.  Hold on, let me Google it. . .THREE
WEEKS! That's it?  Huh, for some reason I was under the impression it
was a
several month course.