Prev: Re: [SG] comparing SG Next: Re: [SG] comparing SG

Re: OT Genres & Backgrounds was GW

From: "Scott Clinton" <grumbling_grognard@h...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:33:52 -0600
Subject: Re: OT Genres & Backgrounds was GW

Well, I played 40k:Rogue Trader a bit back when we JUST called it was
still
just called Warhammer 40k...

We played using about 60% of the rules from the book and 40% of our own
rules...and 0% of the lame-arse GW background.	Hell, I remember the
first
time we saw the "Army Lists" that GW was pushing.  We literally laughed
in
the face of the store owner when he explained to us that unless the
forces
you used were from an "official" army list you were not playing the game

correctly.

It depends on WHO you game with NOT what rules system you use.	I have
played minis since the early 70's and I have seen/played a LOT of
different
sci-fi rules and GW's take on this issue is an exception and not the
rule.

The only real problem I have with this issue regarding GW is that they
are
such hard-arse's about their background/army lists/point system/ect/etc/

that they convince the 9-15 year-olds that it SHOULD be this way.  But,
once
you show someone the 'light' rarely do they go back (with the exception
of
rule lawyers that thrive in this GW fostered atmosphere).  And it is not

hard to show someone the 'light'.  Heck, if someone reads sci-fi novels
(even the GW stuff <shudder>) it won't take but a chapter or two before
they
stumble across something they would like to use in a game...but can't
according to GW.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

>From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@hotmail.com>
>To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
>Subject: OT Genres & Backgrounds was GW
>Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:31:46 -0800
>
>I think the biggest problem *I* have with the background material for
game
>systems like WH40K (whick I've never played but watched a lot of games)
and
>Battletech (Which I played WAY too much) is not how dark or evil the
forces
>may or may not be - it's how little say I have over what the background
is
>like.	It's constricting.  That's the beauty of the generic nature of
GZG.