Prev: Re: [FT,DSII] From MT Re: Ortillery Next: RE: SG mod rules was Space Dwarves

Re[2]: [OT] Black Hawk Down

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet72@y...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:48:40 -0500
Subject: Re[2]: [OT] Black Hawk Down

Wednesday, January 23, 2002, 4:57:28 PM, Brian wrote:

BB> laserlight Wrote:

>>www.foxnews.com has a story about the reactions of Somalians to a
>>bootlegged copy of BHD.   The part that I found most interesting was:
>>"After the Sept. 11 attacks in New York and Washington, President Bush

>>added Al-Itihaad al-Islami, a Somali Islamic group, to the list of
>>terrorist organizations with alleged ties to Usama bin Laden's Al
Qaeda
>>network."
>>
>>"al-itihaad al-Islami" means "Islamic Federation"...

BB> A friend of mine saw a news report, maybe the same one.  He said
what stuck
BB> out was the fact that all the Somalis being interviewed said what an
unfair
BB> characterization of Somalia it was, yet, in the background the
moview was
BB> being played again, and every time an American soldier was hit, the
Somali
BB> audience would cheer.  They also tried to say that the movie showed
what
BB> great warriors the somalis were, and that that was the reason for
the
BB> fiasco.  Hmmmmm..... How many Somalis were killed in that fight?

BB> Brian B2

Latest in Somali fashion accessories:  Reality Blinders - Allows you
to ignore facets of real-life so that you may continue to live with
the impression that you and yours are "all that".

War story:  I was in Somalia (left shortly before the Blackhawk went
down) and we were confiscating weapons.  Many of the weapons we
confiscated were cheap chinese knock-offs of the venerable M-16.  I
noted that without exception the front sight post was hacked off.  I
asked one of the interpreters "why" and when he came back with an
answer it was "Because it gets in the way, they can't aim with that
thing in the way of looking over the top of the barrel."

Great warriors my pimpled white... nevermind.

--Flak

Prev: Re: [FT,DSII] From MT Re: Ortillery Next: RE: SG mod rules was Space Dwarves