Prev: RE: Cascadian IFV Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard......

RE: Battle Taxis versus Wannabee Tanks

From: "Iain Davidson" <iain@a...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:05:52 -0000
Subject: RE: Battle Taxis versus Wannabee Tanks

Cheers Tomb !

Iain

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
[mailto:owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU]On Behalf Of Thomas Barclay
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 7:23 AM
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject: Battle Taxis versus Wannabee Tanks

AIFV - IFV - MICV

This class of vehicle (as KH points out) is for
wannabee tankers. It has some FP that might
kill tanks and will kill light armour (other APCs)
and softskinned vehicles and can be used to
attack fixed bunkers and such and fire support
for the infantry. The problem with this concept
is too many crew in these vehicles seem to think
the ability to maybe kill a tank is the ability to
stand 1 on 1 versus tanks. Generally, that's a
quick recipe for your demise - you don't really
have the same hitting power as a tank nor the
same armour by any means.

They also envision infantry fighting from these
mounted using firing ports or extra MGs on the
top. The latter, not NBC enclosed, still seems
more feasible than the former (the M231 port
firing weapon for the Bradley wasn't much of a
success IIRC). Visibility is too limited, infantry
feel like sardines (and realize they can all die
pretty easily while inside), etc.

APC - aka battle taxi

In this case, a lightly armed vehicle designed
just to get the troops there, then go hide or
provide very minimal support with a mounted
MG. This fits everything from WW2 halftracks to
modern VAB (French) APCs. The Kamodo made
by DLD Productions (a mini) is a good example
of this class of vehicle. Useful also for
peacekeeping (more likely wheeled than the
MICV is).

PS - Richard Kirke, drop me a line to
tomb@dreammechanics.com (work) where I
have the link to the hidden turret site.

Tomb

PS - WH40K blows dead bears! (If I can run
faster than a speeding bullet, I should be
playing Champions.....)
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: RE: Cascadian IFV Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard......