Prev: Re: [SG] comparing SG Next: Not getting any e-mails :-(

Re: [SG] comparing SG

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:12:27 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG] comparing SG

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:15:24 -0500, "Laserlight"
<laserlight@quixnet.net>
wrote:

>I have also just met some Advanced Squad Leader players.  Are there
>listers who can provide a (brief) compare&contrast between ASL and
>SG2?

ASL is a squad level board game. Counters represent squads, half squads,
individual vehicles, individual leaders, and individual weapons. It's
incredibly complex, with a rulebook well over 400 pages long (though the
core
of the game is a lot smaller than that). Game scale is about 50 metres
per
hex, if I remember correctly. You may find its lack of command and
control
rules a big negative. Morale is a big part of the game, though, and it's
full
of all sorts of little fiddly minutae that grognards seem to enjoy.

Stargrunt II is at about the same scale. One figure represents one
person, but
in almost all cases individual figures are used to denote a squad's
status. In
reality, almost everything is done at the squad level. Ground scale is
10
metres per inch. Command and control, as well as morale, are very
important to
the game.

ASL allows for larger games in the same time period as SG2, provided you
know
the game rules. ASL is pretty complex, however. I can't overstate this.

That's about as brief as I could put it.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@att.net

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,
   "Jack B. Quick, Boy Inventor"

Prev: Re: [SG] comparing SG Next: Not getting any e-mails :-(